Sunday, June 14, 2009

Protect Customers From Dangerous Decisions

After an usually windy storm blew by my home, left behind was a huge limb from a liquid amber tree blocking half the street. Even larger tree debris was down all over the area, so it would take a while for city crews to reach my place to slice up and haul away the limb. Since the limb was obstructing the view of an area where neighborhood children often cross the road, I decided to cut up the limb myself and pull the pieces out of the way.
     I figured that the bigger the chain saw, the quicker I'd get the job done. With that in mind, I asked the guy at the equipment rental shop for the biggest chain saw around. The guy asked me no questions in return, except for which credit card I wanted to use. What I dragged back to my car was a chain saw really much too powerful and cumbersome for me to use, given my limited experience both with chain saws and with playing defensive end on an NFL team.
     The danger became clear as soon as I started up the chain saw. I needed to stop the saw, drain it out, pack it up in my car, and drive back to make an exchange. As I say, I needed to do all that. But I didn't.
     Instead, I managed to hack up the tree limb while leaving my own limbs intact. How fortunate, since a customer without fingers has trouble pulling out credit cards. I wonder if the operator of the equipment rental shop knows about the customer disservice created at the front desk with me and many others each day.
     I didn't ask him, but I'll ask you: How well do your staff help protect their customers from making dangerous decisions?

No comments:

Post a Comment