Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Focus on Profitability

To maximize the profitability of your business like magic, start and end each day with a focus on what will bring you profitability. This from Making Money Is Not Illegal, Immoral, or Fattening:
"Now imagine that the next time you start to walk into your store, I walk up behind you, put my hand on your shoulder, and ask you, 'What are you going to do to make a difference in here today?' I expect an answer. Remember, no warm and fuzzies. I don't want you looking back at me like Bambi caught in the headlights. I'll be mighty disappointed if you say, 'I'm not sure' or 'Gee, I never thought about it.' I want to know exactly what you are going to do. If I stopped my store manager right there at the opening in the morning, and I put my hand on his shoulder and said, 'What are we going to do in here today to make a difference?,' my store manager had better have a whole list of things, and it better not be, 'Let me go inside and check my notes from yesterday.' What are we going to do to be better today, and let's know it before we walk into the store, because once we walk in, we've got all kinds of distractions to handle.
"That’s the start of the day. How about at the end of your day? When you go to bed tonight, you know your head’s going to hit the pillow and some of you are going to do what I probably do and you kind of think about what you did during the day. So when that happens to you tonight, think about this: What did you do to make a difference in your world?"

1 comment:

  1. Good advice. Too many Owners are not truly focused on what they can do to improve their profitability. One of the best pieces of advice I got from a former boss: When you walk into your store, stop, and look 180 degrees. What areas can be improved to improve the sales..

    ReplyDelete