Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Have Staff Carry Copies of Store Ads

As I went to the cash wrap area to pay for the two shirts I'd spotted, the salesclerk asked me if I'd brought along the coupon that gave me a third shirt for free when I purchased two. I said, "No, where was the coupon?" She told me it was in the ad that appeared in yesterday's newspaper. Then she want on to say, "Don't worry. I have the coupons right here for you to use. Which shirt would you like as your free third one?"
     She handed me not just that single coupon, but a whole group of coupons. With my newfound gratitude and excitement, I added two belts, three pairs of pants, and three pairs of socks I hadn't even consciously thought about purchasing before that.
     Does each employee on your sales floor and at the checkout area have copies of your store's current advertisements, flyers, and circulars?
     It's a tactic that not only builds sales and good will, but also heads off destructive misunderstandings. If a customer thinks the ad said something different from what it really said, it's quick and easy for the employee to straighten out the problem. Having the ad itself takes it away from being customer versus store employee. There's the objective source that both of them can look at.
     These misunderstandings are more common than you might think. Researchers at University of Texas at Austin concluded that the average shopper has only about 65% accuracy when recalling what a printed ad actually says. Although the memory of older consumers is worse overall than that of younger ones, when it came to remembering what was in ads, the 65% accuracy rating generally held up across all age groups.
     Service your customers and your store by having staff carry copies of ads and coupons.

No comments:

Post a Comment