Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Try Out a Few Tactics at a Time

On this RIMtailing blog, I share an abundance of ideas with you each month. Sometimes it might seem like much too much for you to use. The answer is to think about each of the ideas and decide which ones look most promising. Try those out a few tactics at a time. Next, keep what works well for you and either adapt or discard the others. You can then add a few more tactics to the mix.
Leaving retailers with a feeling of too many ideas also concerned Art Freedman and me when we wrote Making Money Is Not Illegal, Immoral or Fattening. Here's what Art says on page 7 of the book:
"I've lots of ideas to share, and I realize this can be overwhelming. Some of you will say this is so much stuff. So I want to set your mind at ease a little bit. I look at this as an opportunity to get a few nuggets for your business. Not a thousand nuggets, not a hundred. I'd like you to take maybe three things away to start. I'm only asking you to come away with three tactics, three things you're going to do when you get back to overseeing your business.
"Still, when you read what I'm telling you here, you might think at first that I'm a complete idiot. But what I'm going to ask you to do is to suspend judgment until you think about and then maybe try out the nuggets. Would you just think about it before you say it's a stupid idea? Think about how it is relevant to your business or not relevant to your business. Talk to some of the people who are in your store. Then make an informed decision about which ones to do. Then do them."

No comments:

Post a Comment