Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Beware Open Sell

As the shopper enters your store, she’s invited to don a colored bracelet. She can change bracelets during her visit, if she likes, knowing the color sends a message to your sales staff:
  • Green means, “I have time. Please talk with me about my possible purchases.” 
  • Pink means, “I’m browsing by myself. I welcome you keeping an eye on me, but I’m perfectly happy not to be asked if you can help me. I’ll come to one of you to ask for help if I want it.” 
  • White means, “Please leave me alone. Without you watching my every move, I want to play around with the merchandise while I think about buying and using it. Just give me a little nook I can tuck myself into.” 
     That is actually the setup at a Clinique counter in New York City. Along with this, all the cosmetics packages are out for the shopper to touch. A few retailing consultants have referred to the arrangement as a “petting zoo sales floor.” It’s a dramatic difference from having a Clinique salesperson cajole the approaching shopper into sitting in a chair for a makeup diagnosis.
     This variation of the open sell environment tactic, pioneered by Sephora stores, also is not a dramatic innovation. For a long time now, we in retailing have been calling it “self-service.” We’re there for the shopper, but we let them pick up the products from the shelves or racks by themselves if they wish.
     Well, okay, there are some theatrical differences in the case of the Clinique counter. Beyond the bracelet gimmick, there are iPads shoppers can use to get product information and even a gadget which spritzes a bit of the cosmetic when the shopper signals which one.
     According to a Wall Street Journal video, the change to open sell has led to a double-digit growth in sales.
     Still, beware open sell. In offering to consumers products requiring a personal touch, such as cosmetics, we won’t want to miss opportunities. For instance, researchers at Washington State University and University of Texas-Austin noticed how consumers who intended to buy animal friendly cosmetics, sustainable wood furniture, and fair trade clothing very often failed to ask about those issues at the point of purchase. The consumers would use the information to make their selections if the salesperson told it to them, but otherwise seemed to prefer to stay unaware of it.

For your profitability: Sell Well: What Really Moves Your Shoppers

Click below for more: 
Notch a Niche for the Fair Trade Spirit 
Overcome Gender Stereotypes

No comments:

Post a Comment